This position is responsible to report to the Tinsmith trade Superintendent in support of trade process monitoring and process improvements.
- Develop Carpenter and Tinsmith trade training curriculum, and teach training courses to department employees both in the classroom and shipboard
- Monitor trade process for first time quality and best practices from fabrication through ships delivery
- Work with the trade Superintendent to develop processes that enable solid cost performance and quality that meets the requirements of the specification.
- Develop metrics for the trade to monitor current performance and use to establish goals around performance improvements.
- Use trade rates to monitor and measure trade performance and use this data as the basis for process improvement, corrective actions and work order budgeting.
- Continuously refine trade processes based on ABR's, lessons learned, quality indicators and performance reviews.
- Define world class performance within the trade and work with trade leaders to understand them and achieve them.
- Use the continuous improvement process to enhance trade processes such as PII's and Lean projects.
- Use the unplanned labor hours to drill down into problems within the trade and insure that process improvements are developed to prevent recurrence.
High school diploma or GED required, graduate BIW apprentice, LSS Green Belt preferred, or a combination of experience and training in trade processes.
- 3 years associated trade shipbuilding experience; or 5 years of experience in a manufacturing industry
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively across various levels of management and maintain positive working relationships with customers
- Ability to adapt and quickly respond to a changing, fast paced, progressive environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Proficient in web-based systems, Lotus Notes
- Self-directed with high level of initiative
- Teamwork skills and results oriented
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflict and multiple priorities
- Good Facilitation skills
- Ability to work all areas of a ship, including tanks