Responsible for overseeing, facilitating, and improving all aspects of shipyard tool management. Understands and improves manufacturing processes through effective use and improvements of tool manufacturing uses. This person will work closely with BIW Safety and develop specifications for tools and supplies in accordance with OSHA and ANSI standards and requirements, perform testing, and evaluations of products and works with suppliers and Procurement to establish contracts. This position will focus on all aspects of effective tool management, but may also be assigned other process improvement initiatives.
- Analyze manufacturing, planning, and material processes and develop solutions to improve performance through better tool management and use.
- Monitors, reports, and addresses small tool inventory to include serviceability, distribution, frequency of issue/return, preventative maintenance and repair to ensure maximum availability of small tools for mechanics.
- Perform data-driven investigations into consumable usage and related costs. Identify and implement cost savings improvements to existing inventory. Use business acumen to balance unit cost vs service life in shipbuilding environment to deploy the appropriate consumables and tools for the lowest yearly cost.
- Serve as subject matter expert regarding tool usage, repair, and rebuild in compliance with manufacturers and regulatory (OSHA, ANSI, UL, etc.) requirements.
- Work closely with mechanics, technicians, and trade supervision to find ways to improve tool safety.
- Work closely with tool suppliers and stay abreast of latest development in tool engineering. Provide recommendations for new tool acquisition.
- Collaborate with BIW Safety department on ergonomics, vibratory testing, and all new tool/consumable introductions as well as assist with investigations and corrective actions concerning accidents, injuries, and near misses related to small tools.
- Serve as focal point for trade based tooling requests, evaluations, and new product introduction.
- Serve as the Facilities Department Continuous Process Improvement Program Liaison, leading improvement projects through the shipyard in support of company strategies and objects.