This program is designed to develop talented individuals to prepare them for future leadership roles at General Dynamics, Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine. We are looking for recent graduates of marine, manufacturing and/or engineering colleges or academies.
We will be making candidate selections in the winter of 2017 with the selected new hires starting in June of 2018.
This is an interim trainee position where the employee develops professionally, technically and personally through a structured two year Professional Development Program (PDP) of defined rotations and training. Upon completion of the program the employee will be able to assume a leadership role within the company. The PDP employee rotates through key areas to learn primary processes to acquire shipbuilding and maritime industry knowledge and leadership skills.
Role and Responsibilities of selected candidates:
1. Proactively use every opportunity and experience to increase knowledge of BIW business practices.
2. Complete assignments/projects on time to support rotational departments' workload.
3. Develop overall knowledge of shipbuilding processes and managerial skills while assisting key departments during area rotations.
4. Manages work in a given area by coordinating cognizant stakeholder efforts.
5. Actively participate in implementing and monitoring continuous process improvement initiatives to improve safety and quality, and reduce cycle time and costs.
6. Attend and participate in assigned learning events.
• Completed Bachelor's Degree in one of the following (or closely related field): Maritime Engineering (Systems/Operations/Technology/Transportation), Electrical, Mechanical, Manufacturing, Facilities, Power Systems Engineering, Naval Architecture, Business/Logistics/Supply Chain Management
• Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 required
• Education from a maritime academy preferred
• Basic understanding of maritime industry operations preferred
• Ability to plan work and manage time effectively
• Ability to collaborate and influence others
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access
• Ability to logically express ideas in oral and written formats
• High level of flexibility and versatility
• Exposure to world class manufacturing techniques